It’s important to keep your equipment maintained and in good repair. Sure it’s inconvenient sometimes, but there’s no way around it in many cases.
I was cutting the last slab of the day recently when I noticed there was a flood coming out of the splash box. I turned off the power and water and checked what was happening. I couldn’t find anything wrong except the drain hose was kinked slightly, and it went back to being like that after I straightened it. I got through the rest of the session by pinching it lightly the other way to keep it open.
I cleaned the box after I’d finished, took it apart and thought about the problem. I don’t know why I drilled two holes in the box long ago! Maybe the one was too high, or I was thinking of adding a second hose if the first wasn’t sufficient for drainage? I don’t remember. But this is the first trouble I’ve had with it.
I thought about adding a snap-on hose fitting to the lower hole with strengthening washers either side of the box wall, and then clip on the hose whenever needed. That would stop the kinking in future. But having looked through various hardware stores, I couldn’t find any suitable fittings so I decided to simply cut-off the end of the hose, turn it around and fix it back into the box wall – it’s been fine for 19 years, so anything more elaborate is probably over-engineering the solution!
Whilst in the mood, I decided to fix the rubber splash-flap back as well – the glue had been going though it hasn’t been causing a problem, but I didn’t want it to get worse than it was. Again I had thoughts of making it more difficult to fix than necessary! After a while I came to the conclusion that the simplest way was to use my revolving head punch to cut the holes through the plastic box wall and rubber sheeting at the same time and then use a pop-rivet to secure them. It was the work of ten minutes to complete!
Unfortunately, as I was pre-polishing some slabs on a 1500 grit flexible diamond belt yesterday the glue gave way and the backing patch came off. With that the belt flew off the expandable drum, but at least the latter didn’t disintegrate as well!
Well, the glue has been good for many years so no complaints. I figure the best way to fix it is to clean off the glue and re-glue it – I’d be lucky to find a piece of fibrous backing tape that strong and thin anyway.
I’ve visited my local hardware shop and bought the materials I need to fix it and I’ll report on the outcome next month. Watch this space!
On this page I intend to add monthly updates on aspects of jade carving. I also plan to invite more experienced carvers to offer a "master-class" on a particular subject of their choice. With this I hope to enthuse both the novice and the expert in this ancient and beautiful art-form/craft. And comments are welcome!